Story of Spa III
The story of the Windsor complex, known under the name Spa III, dates back to the 19th century.
The spa building, in English Gothic Revival style, was erected in 1866 according to the design of builders L Renner, Gustav Hain and Eduard Labitzky.
The Kurhaus, as it was known, was one of the most modern balneological institutes in Austria-Hungary. Spa III provided most of the treatment procedures offered at the time, and also fulfilled a role as spa music centre.
During the Second World War, part of Spa III’s ground floor was rebuilt for the needs of the Imperial City Hospital. Only minor maintenance work was undertaken on the building following the end of the war.
In 1951, the Central Health Institute of Czechoslovakian spas and hot springs was located in the Spa III building, and extensive renovation took place on the building between 1956 and 1959.
Spa III is today protected by the law for its structural, historic and cultural importance..
Between 2013 and 2014, the Windsor complex underwent complete renovation.